Air fryers are great for so many reasons – they’re healthy, fast, and delicious. But can you put glass in an air fryer? Many people want to know if it is safe to do so. The good news is that it is possible to cook with glass in an air fryer, as long as you take certain precautions.
In this blog post, we will discuss the safety of cooking with glass in an air fryer and answer why some people advise against it. We will also provide tips on using glass safely in your air fryer and when it is best to avoid using it altogether.
If you’re interested in finding out more about cooking with glass in an air fryer, then keep reading!
What is an air fryer?
An air fryer is a popular kitchen appliance used to make fried foods such as meat, pastries, and potato chips. It is a miniature convection oven that fits on your kitchen countertop and works by circulating hot air around the food. If desired, this hot air, combined with an oil mist, creates a crispy texture while using significantly less oil than traditional deep-frying methods.
Air fryers are becoming increasingly popular due to their convenience, health benefits, and versatility – you can use them for cooking various dishes, from appetizers to desserts. When cooking with an air fryer, it is important to remember a few tips and tricks to ensure that your food comes out perfectly cooked every time.
What Types of Materials Are Safe to Use in An Air Fryer?
It is important to note that you should not use any plastic in an air fryer as it can be toxic to your health and bad for the environment. Additionally, the air fryer should be PTFE and PFOA-free.
Below is a list of the recommended types of containers:
- Stainless steel frying pans.
- Pyrex glass food bowls.
- Heat-resistant polycarbonate.
- Silicone molds.
- Parchment paper.
- Tin foil.
What Types of Materials Are NOT Safe to Use in An Air Fryer?
Materials that are not safe to use in an air fryer include:
- Plastic of any kind.
- Metal cookware with plastic or wooden handles.
- Heat-resistant polycarbonate.
- PFAS coatings on food contact surfaces.
- Non-stick coating, usually made from PFAS.
Can I put glass in Air fryer?
Yes, you put glass in air fryer. Most glassware is oven-safe and tough enough to withstand the heat generated by the air fryer. It is important to select a glass bowl or dish that is specifically oven-safe. In addition, it is important to remember that the air fryer operates differently than a traditional oven, so it is best to use a glass bowl that is specifically designed for the air fryer.
Lastly, it is important never to put cold glass in the air fryer, as this will cause thermal stress. And the glass could crack or break.
Safety Tips for Using an Air Fryer with Glass
- Ensure the Glass is Oven-Safe: It’s important to ensure the glass bowl or cookware you use in your air fryer is oven-safe. Pyrex and other types of heat-resistant, borosilicate, or tempered glass containers designed for use in convection or microwave ovens are safe.
- Don’t Block the Airflow: Make sure that your glass bowl or container won’t block the airflow of the air fryer.
- Avoid High Temperatures: Avoid setting the temperature too high when using a glass bowl in your air fryer. Rapid temperature changes can fracture your glass cookware.
- Use a Food Thermometer: Using a food thermometer is the only way to ensure the safety of meat, poultry, and egg products when air frying. Place the food thermometer in the thickest part of the food to check the internal temperature.
- Enjoy Your Food: Don’t overcrowd the food basket, as it will reduce air circulation and decrease the quality of your dishes. To enjoy your food, follow these important safety tips when using an air fryer with glass.
Alternatives to Using Glass in an Air Fryer
- Metal Wire Racks: Metal wire racks are a great alternative to using glass in an air fryer. They allow air to flow around the food well and are easily washable.
- Ceramic Containers: Ceramic containers are a great option as they are good conductors of heat and won’t shatter like glass.
- Pyrex and other Heat-Resistant Glass: Pyrex and other types of heat-resistant, borosilicate, or tempered glass containers designed for use in convection or microwave ovens are safe to use in an air fryer.
- Silicone Containers: Silicone containers can also be used in an air fryer. However, they need to be oven safe and heat-resistant.
FAQS about Can You Put Glass in An Air Fryer
Can you put a glass bowl in an air fryer?
Yes, Pyrex glassware is safe for an air fryer as long as it is oven-proof. Pyrex glassware can withstand temperatures up to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, making it suitable for air fryers. However, it’s important to remember that an air fryer changes the cooking process, so cooking times may need to be adjusted accordingly.
Can I put a paper plate in my air fryer?
No, you cannot put a paper plate in an air fryer. The heat generated by the air fryer can cause the paper plate to break down, leading to a potential fire hazard. It is recommended to use heat-proof and oven-safe plates in an air fryer. Other items that you can safely use inside an air fryer include parchment paper, toothpicks, tin foil pyrex dishes, PAM oil, steel bowls, and iron skillets. Make sure to put the plate on the wire rack that comes with the air fryer and that it is completely dry before using it.
Can I put a stainless steel bowl in an air fryer?
Yes, you can put a stainless steel bowl in an air fryer. However, you must ensure it is oven-safe or you know that it can withstand high temperatures. Additionally, it is best to use a stainless steel bowl without loop handles because of the limited space in the air fryer. You can also use other oven-proof materials such as glass, ceramic, or other metal utensils.
Can I put aluminum foil in an air fryer?
Yes, you can put aluminum foil in an air fryer. However, you should take care to avoid covering any critical components of the machine that could be damaged by heat or airflow. Always use the aluminum foil in the basket and avoid using it with acidic foods. Additionally, be sure to weigh down the foil so that it doesn’t get blown around by the air fryer’s high-speed fans.
To sum it up, you should not place glass or cookware with a wooden handle in your air fryer as it can cause burns, fire, and even cracked glass. Use only heat-resistant cookware with plastic or metal handles to ensure your safety.
It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for using an air fryer safely and correctly. If you have any doubts or concerns, don’t hesitate to contact the manufacturer directly.
Do you have any questions about putting glass in an air fryer? Let us know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading!
I love cooking. There’s something about taking a bunch of disparate ingredients and turning them into a cohesive, delicious meal that just really scratches an itch for me. I’m not the world’s best cook, but I enjoy it and am always looking to learn more.
Plus, it’s a great way to show my loved ones that I care about them. When I cook for someone, I’m telling them that I want them to be happy and well-fed – and isn’t that really the best thing you can say to someone?